Easing back into work, trying to ignore January, the music industry turns to the bubbling bath of untapped oil that is the tips feature. Unsure as to why the arbitrary spin of a planet should be seen as a pre-cursor to musical success, we tried to take a more comprehensive look at what’s going on at the minute, splitting our equivalents to tips features up into three – brand new or as-yet unsung ‘early doors’ acts, zeitgeist straddling ‘next-steppers’ and the ‘certifiable successes’ of the industry that’ve been touted in almost every other stinking section of the media. Find anything decent in there? Haven’t read? Find the three articles on the other side of bold links.
Elsewhere, we announced a few gignights; putting our money where our holes are and booking the likes of Wild Beasts, Errors, the Mae Shi and Banjo or Freakout for our cosy shows at the end of January (Winter Warmer shows; Tips show).
I’ll be the one clutching a red rose.
Justice will play to 17,000 at Madison Square Garden, Shins keyboardist embroiled in domestic abuse accusations, Glastonbury headliner "black American", the Smell turns ten as No Age announce new album, These New Puritans guide us through their Beat Pyramid, Thom Yorke hates you...
Click here for a week in news…
A Week in Features
* Foaling around: founders' foibles dissected
* The Mars Volta: a well-dressed "pop corpse"
* Drenched in Distortion: Stephin Merritt on Magnetic Fields’ stab at chamber pop
* Czeching it out: British Sea Power on liking Rock Music
* It’s great in 2008, yeah: DiS’s tips rule, OK - Part 1; Part 2; Part 3
* It's great in 2008, yeah: DiS's anticipated albums
* DiScover: Johnny Foreigner
British Sea Power
Single of the Week
* British Sea Power: Waving Flags
A Week in Review
* British Sea Power: Do You Like Rock Music?
* The Magnetic Fields: Distortion
* Jonny Greenwood: There Will Be Blood
* Neil Young @ New York United Palace Theatre, 19/12
* Simple Kid, David Thomas Broughton, Slow Club, Alessi @ End of the Road Festival Christmas Shindig 19/12
* The Magnetic Fields – ‘Too Drunk to Dream’
* Johnny Foreigner – ‘The End and Everything After’
* George Pringle – ‘I’m Very Scared, Buster. Yes, At Last’
* Broken Records – ‘If Eilert Lovborg Wrote a Song it Would Sound Like This’
* HEALTH – ‘Triceratops’ (Acid Girls Remixes)
Top Voted Board Threads
* addiction-what is yours?
…“unnecessary quipping”; “Rageahol”; “Bill Nighy”
* your favourite song RIGHT NOW
…swapshop n t’ing
* Lily Cole naked
* Does being foreign make you instantly more attractive?
… “I'm kiwi and was getting depressed that our accent isn't very popular” – “blame Zane”
* Schoolboy Errors
…“PANTS AND VEST”
All at Drowned in Sound
Got news? Email us at email@example.com for back slaps and a credit...