Photo special: the Smell turns ten
The Smell, the much and rightly celebrated art party venue in downtown Los Angeles, was ten recently. To mark the momentous occasion, its all-age denizens - bands, solo artists, listeners, DJs etc - gathered 'round every night since the 27th of December to make loud noises at each other and get the odd $5 haircut.
The birthday season ended on the 11th night; as No Age, Abe Vigoda, Mika Miko, Fast Forward, Silver Daggers, Disaster, David Scott Stone and New York's Hard Bop clattered and shone in the confines of the yard; we woke with a whim to go on Friday the 4th, sobered up and instead asked Juan Velazquez and Randy Randall to take pictures on Sunday the 6th. They didn't, but thankfully they knew someone who could; many thanks going out to Elsy May.
Thanks, Elsy May!
(MySpace pages linked through band names)
DAVID SCOTT STONE
DISASTER (of Barr)
Got news? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for back slaps and a credit...
- In Photos: ATP Nightmare Before Christmas - Day One curated by Les Savy Fav
- In Photos: No Age @ OT 301, Amsterdam
- Good Videos for Good Friday - Videos of the Year: 1st Quarter 2011
- No Age to play two London shows, European tour
- Drowned in Sound's albums of the year 2010: 50-11
- In The City: The DiS review - Part 2 by Dom Gourlay
- In The City: The DiS Review - Part 1 by Wendy Roby
- Drowned in Sound celebrates 10 years with a 2-hour takeover of BBC 6Music