In Photos: Crystal Antlers @ DiScover Sheffield
Crystal Antlers, The Invisible and Three Trapped Tigers could probably all headline DiScover gigs themselves, but on Wednesday they played on the same bill at our Sheffield event. Weren't we lucky?
Of course, we knew what to expect from The Invisible, who'd turned in a fantastically funky set of interesting pop the previous night at our Deaf Institute showcase in Manchester, but the other two were slightly more of an unknown quantity.
First up, Three Trapped Tigers bent minds with a frenetic, glitch-heavy set that reminded us of Warp's finest; somewhere between Battles and Squarepusher, say. It was some of the most technically accomplished noise-making we've heard in a long, long time.
Crystal Antlers made a heck of a racket, too - though theirs was pitched somewhere closer to the door of, um, The Doors. If Jim Morrison had been even angrier, that is. Playing tracks from last year's EP and forthcoming full-length debut Tentacles, the quintet (including everybody's favourite percussionist, Sexual Chocolate) more than justified their headliner status. And on a bill like this, that's some compliment.
DiScuss: Were you there? Who did you like best? Excited about Dananana... next month? It's our birthday!
Three Trapped Tigers
- DiS Tip: Hey Sholay are coming your way (if you live in the UK)
- Crystal Antlers - Two-Way Mirror
- In Photos: Live at Leeds Festival
- In Photos: OFF Festival, Poland
- Dot To Dot preview: A DiS mixtape
- Shoegaze Week: The Third Wave Collective's Andy Oliver reassesses the Shoegaze phenomenon
- Crystal Antlers - Tentacles
- In Photos: Crystal Antlers @ DiScover Sheffield