In Photos: Wild Beasts @ DiScover Sheffield
DiScover Sheffield played host to Wild Beasts, Napoleon IIIrd and Cats:For:Peru on Wednesday, and without doubt it was one of our most enjoyable evenings yet.
Assisted by a ridiculously beefy new PA, the headliners wowed us all with a set consisting predominantly of material from their forthcoming second LP. Bassist Tom Fleming's baritone vocal seems to be taking an increasingly central role, and, married with frontman Hayden Thorpe's ever-luscious falsetto, on tonight's evidence their second record promises to be an even more varied and intricate affair. And let's face it, Limbo, Panto was pretty fucking special.
Earlier on, Napoleon IIIrd dazzled with a one man band display that incorporated an impressive array of technology and tricks, most interestingly reel-to-reel tape, while local lads and lasses Cats:For:Peru warmed everybody up with an admirable set of theatrical pop. All in all, it was a corker.
Next up, we've our first Manchester event of the year featuring The Invisible, Tame Impala and Urgent Talk - click the links on the former and latter to read the relevant DiScover features - at The Deaf Institute on Tuesday March 10th. We've Facebook and Last.fm events, of course, and would very much like to see you there.
Meanwhile, here's some pictures for you of Wednesday's soiree...
Photos by Andy Cook
Cats for Peru
- EP Stream: Luke Abbott - Object Is A Navigator
- This Week's Singles 22.10.12: Everything Everything, Jessie Ware feat. Wild Beasts, Villagers
- Latitude 2012 - Drowned In Sound's Sunday blog
- In Photos: Latitude Festival 2012 - Day 3 @ Henham Park, Suffolk
- Latitude 2012 Bill: Bon Iver, Bat for Lashes, Brian Cox and billions more brilliant bands announced
- My Top 10 live shows of 2011 by Dom Gourlay
- Spotifriday #121: The Antlers, PJ Harvey, The Shins + more
- DiS' Favourite Albums of 2011: 20-6