Edit this event
- OK Go »
First impressions of OK Go: singer who looks like he’s just stepped out of a GAP advert, rest of band made up of geek rock ‘80s enthusiasts. And that’s probably exactly what they are.
No secrets about it, we’re talking New Wave and we’re talking The Cars and Adam & The Ants and The Knack and ELO and bubblegum ‘70s glam, with The Rentals and Fountains Of Wayne thrown in too. There’s a cover of The Specials’ ‘Nite Club’ in there somewhere, there’s stadium rock posing, there’s one of the best goddamn cheesy live shows you’ll see.
A lot has been said of OK Go’s live reputation, and they don’t disappoint… Well, there are a few dodgy harmonies in there and the sound isn’t too great, but that’s the Electric Ballroom for you. We’ll let that pass. A blip.
I can’t help it. OK Go make me happy. Be it the powerpop perfection of ‘You’re So Damn Hot’ or – and this one really shows off the dodgy harmonies tonight – ‘What To Do’, this is a band with a great collection of songs. Sure, there ain’t much here for the average Xfm kid who’s heard ‘Get Over It’, but I can’t help feeling this is the way I’d want Weezer to be like these days.
If it’s band members jumping on top of the drums, doing ‘Radio Ga Ga’ style hand claps, or Spinal Tap guitar posing that floats your boat, then come this way, kiddies, come here.
- In Photos: Live From Jodrell Bank @ Jodrell Bank, Cheshire
- In Photos: The Flaming Lips @ The Eden Sessions, Cornwall
- DiS meets OKGo: “Chasing the thrill of making things”
- Singles of the Year: 1st Quarter 2010!
- YouTube launches indie music partner channel, artists to get more $$$
- This Week's Singles: 01/03/10
- This week’s albums: 11/01/10
- Death Cab to release single from Vampire movie OST