Edit this event
- V2002, Romford »
- The Charlatans »
Rain at V has become somewhat of a familiarity. The Charlatans, playing their third V festival probably thought just that, meandering on stage to driving rain in a similar vain to how they did at the equally gloomy V98.
Back in the saddle, but this year thankfully sober. Living in LA has done them no harm, Tim Burgess, shades intact this year but minus the alcohol that nearly had him floundering three years previous, still oozes the charisma that leaves the girls dreamy and the lads, well, dreaming of being someone similar. As the opening chords of baggy classic 'The Only One I Know' launch out towards the miserable clouds, the rain becomes all but a distant memory.
Many bands forget how to play a festival, The Charlatans have no such trouble. Old favourites, mixed with occasional new tracks are delivered with equal gusto and brilliance. 'North Country Boy', 'How High and 'Just Lookin' have the crowd dancing and suitably content, mesmorised by the ultra cool Burgess and peers. Even new single 'Love Is The Key' receives a warm embrace - A soulful response to a tune with equal amounts of pure soul.
The weather was typical, the band were suitably untouchable. To not have them headline V2002 would be simple ignorance.
- In Photos: Kendal Calling Festival 2011 @ Lowther Deer Park, Hackthorpe
- In Photos: Friends Of Mine Festival 2011 @ Capesthorne Hall, Macclesfield
- The Charlatans - Us And Us Only (Deluxe edition)
- DiS meets Tim Burgess from The Charlatans
- The Charlatans - Who We Touch
- V Festival 2010 - 10 Not To Miss Sets: The DiS preview
- This Week's Singles: 02/08/10
- Summer Sundae Weekender: The DiS review