Though often labeled as a Pavement side project, Silver Jews were actually formed at roughly the same time as Pavement. Berman has falsely quoted the band's name originating from the transcription of a billboard that he saw reading "Silver Jewelry", although he has stated in an interview that the name was actually intended to be a pseudonym for a conceptual art piece and later evolved into the actual band. Others claim, however, that the name pays homage to The Silver Apples, The Silver Beetles, and slang for blonde-haired Jewish people.
Though Berman had avoided playing live for most of the band's existence, the Silver Jews embarked on their first-ever tour following the release of Tanglewood Numbers in 2005. They toured North America, Europe, and Israel in 2006. A documentary, titled Silver Jew, was filmed during the band's time in Israel.
On January 22, 2009, Berman announced via the official Drag City messageboard that he planned to retire from music and that the Silver Jews would play their final show at Cumberland Caverns in McMinnville, Tennessee at 3 pm on January 31, 2009. Each year there are only 12 shows in the Volcano Room at Cumberland Caverns. The show is recorded and aired on WSM. Arnett Hollow from Louisville, Kentucky completes the lineup for the Bluegrass Underground Show with the Silver Jews. The caverns are located 333 feet undeground, and only 300 general admission tickets would be made available. Berman stated that he would play his 15 favorite Silver Jews songs. He also wrote that his intentions are to move to "screenwriting or muckraking". He closed the entry by saying, "I always said we would stop before we got bad. If I continue to record I might accidentally write the answer song to 'Shiny Happy People'."
Berman originally planned for the concert to be recorded and aired sometime in February 2009 on Nashville's famed WSM AM radio station; however, the day before the show, Berman posted on the Drag City message board to say that he had "negotiated out of the WSM part out of the deal." The concert was documented by several 16 mm film cameras, and Berman has hinted at a possible DVD release of the show at some point in the future.
- Starlite Walker (1994) LP/CD
- The Natural Bridge (1996) LP/CD
- American Water (1998) LP/CD
- Bright Flight (2001) LP/CD
- Tanglewood Numbers (2005) LP/CD
- Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea (2008) LP/CD
- "Dime Map Of The Reef" (1990) 7"
- "Silver Jews And Nico" (1993) split 7" with New Radiant Storm King
- "Send in the Clouds" (1998) CD/7"
- "Hot as Hell" (1999) CD/7"
- Silver Jew (2007)
- Silver Jews website.
- Drag City: Silver Jews
- The Corduroy Suit, a comprehensive unofficial Silver Jews website
- Silver Jews on MySpace
- An Interview with David Berman at About.com
- Silver Jews' Dave Berman interview at musicOMH.com
- Interview with David Berman
- "From a Texaco Sign", PopMatters interview (11/2005)
- Cassie Berman's Travelin' Mixtape
- Silver Jews cover story from Plan B Magazine, August 2006
- Interview at Cool Beans - reprint at Acetone Magazine (English-Spanish)
- May 2009 David Berman post-Joos interview on MonsterFresh.com
Biography from Wikipedia