George Evelyn (born c. 1970), better known as Nightmares on Wax and also known as DJ EASE (Experimental Sample Expert), is a DJ and musician from Leeds, UK. His music is released on Warp Records and was one of the first releases on the label.
Evelyn got his start in the music industry through an interest in hip hop and on joining a local breakdancing crew, he met Kevin Harper and together they released their first album in 1991, a techno-edged record entitled A Word Of Science: The First And Final Chapter.
Evelyn went on to run The Headz Club in Leeds, and started his own record label, Poverty Records. The next Nightmares on Wax release was not until Smoker's Delight in 1995, by which time Harper had left to pursue a career in DJing, reducing the band to a solo project. Evelyn began to record more of his trademark chill-out tracks, and brought in a variety of musicians and vocalists, giving the music a greater variety as well as allowing him to take the band out on tour.
In 2000, Evelyn assisted in the comeback of hip hop pioneers De La Soul, when they appeared on the EP The Sound of N.O.W.. Although De La Soul have maintained a steady, loyal and strong fanbase since the beginning of their career some[who?] have argued that Evelyn's EP helped push them back into the public eye.
- A Word of Science: The First and Final Chapter (September 16, 1991)
- Smokers Delight (September 25, 1995) #84 UK
- Carboot Soul (December 4, 1999) #71 UK
- DJ-Kicks: Nightmares on Wax (October 2, 2000) (DJ mix album)
- Mind Elevation (September 2, 2002) #47 UK
- Late Night Tales: Nightmares on Wax (May 12, 2003) (DJ mix album)
- In a Space Outta Sound (March 7, 2006) #93 UK
- thought so... (August 25, 2008) UK #135
Biography from Wikipedia