Dungen ("the grove", Swedish pronunciation: [?d???n]) is a Swedish rock band based in Stockholm. Often classified as psychedelic rock, Dungen is also influenced by Swedish (and other) folk music, classic rock, progressive rock and indie rock.
The band is fronted by singer/composer Gustav Ejstes, who writes all music and plays the majority of instruments on the band's records. Despite this, Dungen plays live as a four-piece. Gustav, who in his teens started his songwriting with hip hop, is backed live by Swedish progressive rock veteran Reine Fiske (Landberk, Morte Macabre, Paatos, The Guild) on guitar, bassist Mattias Gustavsson (Life On Earth!), and drummer Fredrik Björling (The Guild)-- all of whom have played parts on Dungen's studio albums.
Following two vinyl album releases on Swedish record label Subliminal Sounds, Dungen briefly signed to Dolores Recordings (a subset of Virgin Records) in 2002, on which they released the CD Stadsvandringar and three singles, including one for Djungelboken 2 (the Swedish version of The Jungle Book 2). Gustav soon returned to his friend's independent record label Subliminal Sounds, stating that a major label did not feel right because Dungen is not a pop act.
Although Dungen's songs are sung entirely in Swedish, 2004's Ta Det Lugnt received great acclaim within indie rock circles and established the band's international reputation. This resulted in the band headlining two US tours and landing distribution deals in the US and UK. Dungen also performed their song "Panda" on the popular NBC television talk show Late Night With Conan O'Brien. In 2006, Dungen played at the famous Bonnaroo music festival and has also toured with Wolfmother and the Tucker B's around Australia.
Dungen released their fourth studio album, Tio Bitar on April 25, 2007 but did not tour in support of it.
The group's latest album, entitled 4, was released in the fall of 2008.
- Dungen (2001)
- Stadsvandringar (English - City Walks) (2002)
- Ta Det Lugnt (English - Take it Easy) (2004)
- Tio Bitar (English - Ten Pieces) (2007)
- 4 (2008)
- Tyst Minut (Silent Minute) (2005, Subliminal Sounds) (12" vinyl, also included with 2005 re-release of Ta Det Lugnt)
- Samtidigt (Simultaneously) (2009, Kemado) (limited-pressing (500) tour-only 12? vinyl containing an extended 15-minute long version of the song "Samtidigt" from 4)
- Solen Stiger Upp (The Sun Rises) (2002, Dolores Recordings) (CD)
- Stadsvandringar (2002, Dolores Recordings) (CD)
- Jag vill va' som du / Har du vart' i Stockholm? (I wanna be like you / Have you been in Stockholm?) (2003, Dolores Recordings) (CD)
- Panda (2005, Memphis Industries) (CD, 7" vinyl)
- Festival (2006, Memphis Industries) (7" vinyl)
- Sätt Att Se (Ways to see) (2008, Mexican Summer) (12" vinyl)
Biography from Wikipedia