The band was originally a three-piece comprising Jamie Sutherland, brother Rory Sutherland (violin, guitar and accordion) and Ian Turnbull (guitar, piano and accordion). After a few performances they added Arne Kolb (cello), Dave Smith (piano, trumpet), Andrew Keeney (drums), and David Fothergill (bass). They played 60 gigs in 2007 and recorded a session for BBC Radio 1 at the Maida Vale studios.
They played a well received set at T in the Park's T Break stage in 2007 and have gone on to play two sets at the 2008 Connect Festival, including a well-attended headline set at the Your Sound bandstand.
Use of the violin, cello, and accordion gives them a distinctly Scottish edge and their faster numbers have been known to provoke ceilidh dancing at gigs. The NME branded them the Scottish Arcade Fire, although this is an accolade previously bestowed on My Latest Novel.
The band, who swap instruments when performing live, have received numerous comparisons to Arcade Fire, and have also been compared to The Verve and The Levellers. They were described by NME in 2008 as "one of the country's most exciting new bands."
Broken Records released three singles prior to their signing with 4AD: "If the News Makes You Sad, Don't Watch It" on Young Turks in April 2008, "Slow Parade" on Label Fandango in August 2008, and "Lies" on Distiller Records in November 2008.
Broken Record's debut album Until the Earth Begins to Part was released on 1 June 2009. It was described by frontman Jamie Sutherland as "based around all the shit things men do."
The band will release a digital EP, entitled Out on the Water, on 2 November 2009. The release contains songs recorded before Until the Earth Begins to Part.
- Until the Earth Begins to Part (4AD, CAD 2921), 1 June 2009
- Out on the Water (4AD), 2 November 2009
- "Out on the Water"
- "The Crumbling Wall"
- "Lessons Never Learnt"
- "A Warning"
- "All So Tired"
- "If the News Makes You Sad, Don't Watch It" (Young Turks, YT012), 14 April 2008
- "If the News Makes You Sad, Don't Watch It"
- "Lessons Never Learned"
- "Slow Parade" (Label Fandango, GALLAGOS022), 18 August 2008
- "Slow Parade"
- "The Problem With Remembering"
- "Lies" (Distiller Records, DTIL 006), 3 November 2008
- "Travelling Songs"
- "Until the Earth Begins to Part" (4AD, AD 2909), 11 May 2009
- "Until the Earth Begins to Part"
- "And They All Fell Into the Sea"
- "A Good Reason" (4AD), September 2009
- "A Good Reason"
Biography from Wikipedia