Amen is a hardcore punk-influenced band, they formed in 1994, continuing on today.
The band has an almost constantly rotating lineup, with founder Casey Chaos remaining as the only constant member throughout. Chaos writes all the music and lyrics, and performs all vocals and instruments (bar drums, since the album Amen) for studio recordings.
They are particularly popular in the United Kingdom and have previously been voted "Overall Best Band in the World" and "Best Live Band in the World" by readers of Metal Hammer magazine. Amen is known for their live shows and singles "Coma America," "Price of Reality" and "California's Bleeding." Casey Chaos also received a Grammy for co-writing the best Hard Rock song of the year. He also recently fronted the Damned at their 30th anniversary show in London at the 100 club. A CD and DVD of the show is rumoured for release this year.
Casey Chaos started his first ever band, Disorderly Conduct, as a teen. They released a vinyl Amen and the Atrocity demo, played several gigs and became fairly well known around the hardcore punks of the Eastern United States. Disorderly Conduct split up when Casey moved away from Florida at around the age of 17 or 18. Chaos had previously filled in live on bass guitar with deathrock legends Christian Death at some of the band's reunion tour shows in 1993, playing in place of original bassist James McGearty. The following year in the basement of his Los Angeles home, playing all instruments himself, Chaos released an EP under the name "Amen".
During 1995, Chaos released a full length album under the Amen name, called Slave, on Drag U La Records. The release was initially limited to 2000 copies.
Members join Chaos
Around 1994, Chaos met Paul Fig through the L.A. music scene, and they formed a partnership. In the following months and years, the band expanded including former members of the band Snot; drummer Shannon Larkin, guitarist Sonny Mayo and bassist John Fahnestock. Amen were signed to Ross Robinsons' "I AM Records" an imprint though the heavy metal label Roadrunner Records.
Following the release of their eponymous album in September 1999, the band were set to tour Europe in December. This did not happen; Chaos and the band blamed a last-minute withdrawal of funding shortly prior to departure for the failure. Following this incident, Amen and Roadrunner Records went their separate ways.
We Have Come For Your Parents
In 2000 Amen embarked on writing a new album,entitled We Have Come For Your Parents, which subsequently became the bands most successful album. The album released three singles; "The Price Of Reality", which had a controversial video to go with it.'Too Hard to Be Free' and The Waiting 18'. The music is, as always, based on 'metal based punk', while the lyrics concentrated on sociopolitical issues such as being treated badly by a/your employer ("In Your Suit"), the cold-bloodedness of popularity ("CK Killer") and religion ("Mayday").
Death Before Musick
Chaos was helped out by friend Daron Malakian, whom he had met while both Amen and Malakian's band System of a Down were touring Australia as part of the Big Day Out music festival. Amen were the first band signed to Malakian's EatUrMusic label, and became the label's only release, Death Before Musick.
In 2004 Casey Chaos formed the punk/black metal supergroup "SCUM" featuring Faust from the band Emperor, Samoth from the band Zyklon and Happy Tom from the band Turbonegro. They released their debut album, Gospels for the Sick, in 2005 to critical acclaim. It was nominated in Norway for an Alarm Award, the equivalent to the American Grammy.
At the last few shows the band played during 2005 they performed a couple of new songs. A new band lineup was recently revealed at the Angry Brigade website and plans for a tour of Europe seem to be in the works. New songs were also previewed in the 2007 shows, such as "Blood on the subway" and "Diplomatic heart attack"
Grammy Award winner
In 2006, Casey Chaos became punk rock's only Grammy winner. He won this Grammy by co-writing "B.Y.O.B." performed by System Of A Down. This song has won numerous awards and received a myriad of accolades from across the globe. This song was originally written by Casey Chaos and Daron Malakian for their side project, Scars on Broadway, a few years ago.
2007 UK tour
The 2007 UK tour ran from October-November 2007, at venues all over the UK. The highlight of the tour was a gig at Camden Underworld, in London, for Paul Raven from Killing Joke, who died on 20 October 2007. He was one of the first to express interest in Amen. Tour support came from $peedranch, who Casey has recently recorded a new album with, under the name Grindhaller XXX. This will be out some time in 2009, along with a new Amen album, and another tour.
Where the former band members are now
- Shannon Larkin - Now plays drums in Godsmack.
- Sonny Mayo - After leaving Amen he join Hed PE, then Sevendust, joined and then again left the reformed Snot
- John Fahnestock - Released an album with the band Lo-Pro in 2005, and is now the bass player in Noise Within. He has since rejoined Amen, and the reformed Snot.
- Matt Montgomery - Currently plays bass for Rob Zombie. He also has played guitar for Wednesday 13.
- Acey Slade - Is recording a solo album, and producing Scottish acoustic punk, Billy Liar.
- Rich Jones - Is playing guitar for London-based hard rockers Bassknives and punk rocknrollers, The Loyalties.
- Scott Sorry - Replaced Nikki Sixx in Brides Of Destruction. Currently he plays with UK rockers The Wildhearts, and is recording a debut album, with his band, Sorry And The Sinatras, with ex-members of Trashlight Vision.
- Joe Letz - Currently plays live drums for Combichrist. He also has played drums for Genitorturers and as a touring drummer with Wednesday 13.
- Nate Manor - Currently plays bass for Wednesday 13.
- Jinxx - Currently plays guitar for The Dreaming with former Stabbing Westward singer Christopher Hall.
- Slave - (1994, Drag-U-La Records)
- Amen - (1999, Roadrunner Records)
- We Have Come For Your Parents - (2000, Virgin Records)
- Death Before Musick - (2004, EatUrMusic/Columbia)
Compilations and boxsets
- Join, Or Die - (2003, Refuse Music)
- Pisstory, A Catalogue of Accidents/A Lifetime of Mistakes - (2005, Refuse Music)
- "Coma America"- (2000, Roadrunner Records)
- "The Price Of Reality" - (2001, Virgin Records)
- "Too Hard To Be Free" - (2001, Virgin Records)
- "The Waiting 18" - (2001, Virgin Records)
- "California's Bleeding" - (2004, EatUrMusic/Columbia)
- Caught In The Act - (Live - 2004, Secret)
- http://www.officialcaseychaos.com Casey Chaos' Official Website
- http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/caseychaos Casey Chaos Boxset (Pisstory: A Catalogue of Accidents/A Lifetime Of Mistakes)
- http://www.dieorfollow.com/_brigade Exclusive access to the Angry Brigade Fanclub (For A Limited Time Only!!!)
- http://www.dieorfollow.com AMEN's Messageboard
- http://www.scumband.com SCUM Official Website
Biography from Wikipedia